Why is Health and Safety Training Important?
Preventing accidents and ill health caused by work should be a key priority for everyone. As the owner or manager of a business, you know that your employees are valuable. Your business depends on them.
Provide Training and Information
Everyone who works for you needs to know how to work safely and without risks to their health. Employers must provide clear instructions and information, plus adequate training for their employees.
Make sure everyone has the right level of information on:
- Hazards and risks
- Measures to deal with hazards and risks
- How to follow any emergency procedures
Providing Health & Safety information and training helps employers to:
- Ensure both employers and employees are not injured or made ill by the work environment
- Develop a positive Health & Safety culture
- Meet their legal duty to protect the Health & Safety of employees
- Will contribute towards making your employees competent in Health & Safety
- Can help your business avoid the distress that accidents and ill health cause
- Can help you avoid the financial costs of accidents & occupational ill health
What is training?
Training means helping people to learn how to do something, telling people what they should or should not do, or simply giving them information. Training isn’t just about formal classroom courses and obtaining certificates.
Staff become more motivated, remain loyal and committed. By demonstrating workforce competence, your business is given direction and an enhanced image. This is not just about Health & Safety.
Greater understanding and improved skills lead to the development of personal qualities deemed necessary to undertake professional and technical duties.
Keeping up to date with new technical & business related subjects is important and it’s about being even better at what you do.
The UAE Labour law requires that you provide information, instruction and training to ensure the Health & Safety of your employees.
This article is written by Paul Sumner, DMCC Senior HSE Manager. Email: